Montgomery County, PA, Expungement Lawyer

If charges have been dismissed against you, or if you have been acquitted of a crime, your criminal charge should not affect you the rest of your life.

An expungement "erases" criminal records (with a few very specific exceptions), allowing you to rightly answer "no" if asked if you have been charged with or convicted of a crime.

I am attorney Theodore H. Swan, Jr., a criminal defense lawyer with more than four decades of experience protecting the rights and future of people in Bucks County and Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Call me at 267-415-6130 to discuss your situation. I will give an honest opinion on whether expungement is possible.

Are You Eligible For Expungement?

First time criminal offenders may qualify for Pennsylvania's Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program, or Section 17 dispositions in drug cases. If accepted, the charges are dismissed after completion of the program and charges can be expunged.

Expungement may also be possible if:

  • The police dropped or withdrew the charges
  • A person was acquitted at trial
  • A judge dismissed the case

Expungements clear your charge from most records, including court records, sheriff and police departments, the state police records and records at the district attorney's office.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania now authorizes the expungement of records for summary offense convictions under certain conditions and circumstances. 18 Pa.C.S.A 9122 permits people who have been convicted or pled guilty to a summary offense to expunge their record if they were not arrested, prosecuted or convicted of another offense during the five years after the conviction or guilty plea involving the summary offense to be expunged. Expungement for underage drinking can be accomplished after the person reaches 21 years of age and has no further contact with the law.

Expungements And DUI

First-time DUI offenders may participate in the ARD program to lessen criminal consequences and lead to a dismissal of their charge. Despite this, however, the charge will still appear in Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation system. If you get a second DUI within 10 years, you will be charged as a repeat offender.

Contact An Experienced Lawyer Today

Contact me for a free consultation to discuss your options for sealing your criminal record.